Williston Recreation & Parks, VT
Skip to nav
Independence Day Celebration Events
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
Check out the Parade Pics- Click Here
NOTE: Road Closure- Rt. 2 Old Stage Road to Johnson Farm, July 3, 9:30-11:30a
NOTE: Independence Day Celebration Events are on Friday, July 2 and Saturday, July 3 this year 2021, due to July 4 is on a Sunday, and in the past and traditionally no events have taken place on Sunday mornings or afternoons. Events will return to be offered July 3 and 4 on years when the 4th is not on a Sunday.
Schedule of Events:
Friday, July 2
Library Book Sale- 4:00-7:00pm Postponed- to this Summer, due to weather
Ice Cream Social- 7:00pm Postponed- Sat, July 3 at 7p (Village Green)
Town Band Concert- 7:00pm Postponed- Sat, July 3 at 7p (Village Green)
Saturday, July 3
Parade- 10:00am Williston Road. (From Johnson Lane to Old Stage Road)
5K Run- 5:00pm Williston Community Park
Fireworks- 9:30pm Williston Community Park
Old Schoolhouse- 9:00a-12:00p Village Green (Williston Historical Society)
Parade Grand Marshalls:
This year the Williston July 4th Parade celebrates and honors those who have worked for the town for many years and retired during the pandemic.
Thank you for your service:
Rick McGuire- retired Town Manager
Deb Beckett- retired Town Clerk & Treasurer
Ken Morton- retired Fire Chief
Doug Hulbert- retired Assistant Fire Chief
There will be a free shuttle service to the Fireworks at Williston Community Park.
Two (2) SSTA Buses will be doing the Shuttle starting at 8:00pm.
The last time of the shuttle to the Fireworks will be at 9:00pm.
The shuttle will be running after the fireworks until 10:30pm.
The Shuttle Route:
Allen Brook School
Corner of Holland Lane and Stillwater Lane in Finney Crossing
Shaws- (west side parking lot of the Shaw's Building)
Williston Central School
Bike Valet Service:
There will be a free bike valet setup and serviced by Local Motion.
Bike Valet Station will be setup in front of the Skate Park in WCP.
Volunteers needed to help out at the Bike Valet with Local Motion
(Get involved, be part of something great, front row seat to see the fireworks- Click Here to Register)
Registration Below for the Parade- before July 1 or 5K Race- before June 20
Information on Parade, Parade Rules, Fireworks, 5K Race & Library Book Sale below.
- No throwing candy or objects from vehicles or floats or throwing anything into crowds.
- Walkers may hand items to spectators along the parade route. The goal is to keep spectators Safe, by not causing them to enter the roadway to retrieve items or not to be hit with unexpected objects thrown into crowd.
- Prohibited Items: water pistols/guns, super-soakers, water balloons and other devices that propel water from vehicles, floats, or walkers into the parade spectators.
- Drivers of all vehicles/floats in the parade must have a valid driver’s license and be 21 years of age or older and drug and alcohol free.
- Any entry that includes children must have adequate adult supervision. Adult supervision is required on all floats and open vehicles carrying children.
- Participants must not sit on vehicles/equipment that are not intended for that purpose. Participants may not sit on vehicle hoods/trunks.
- Emergency exit accessibility must be available on all floats/vehicles. All participants on floats/vehicle must have direct communication with driver of float or vehicle.
- All floats/vehicles carrying people must be equipped with adequate restraining devices (seat belts or protective railings) capable of stopping anyone falling from the unit.
- All parade participants must be wearing safety equipment for the means of transportation they are on. Example; bikes, scooters, skateboards, horses, etc. must have protective equipment on- to include helmet.
- Playing music is only allowed on parade route during parade time. It is to be kept to a reasonable level for your participants to hear and act to. Sounds will not interfere with other floats or vehicles on parade route.
- Blowing of vehicle horns is strictly prohibited on parade route. Sirens of emergency vehicles is permitted and are to be kept at a reasonable level and only used when not a disturbance to parade watchers or sensitive areas along parade route.
- If your entry includes animals, you are responsible for providing water and picking up after your animals.
- Alcohol, drugs, and smoking is not allowed to be consumed by parade participants- before or during the parade. Police on hand will be monitoring the parade as well as the crowd.
- Commercial business entries may not simply ride through the parade route in their company vehicle. All entries must be decorated according to the parade theme and/or in an appropriate July 4th manner.
- In the case of an emergency with parade participants or spectators, parade participants must move to the right of the parade route to allow clear, unhindered access for emergency vehicles
- The Williston Recreation & Parks Dept. reserves the right to photograph and/or record the entire parade and use these images to promote or benefit the committee’s activities including use in electronic media.
- Note: The Recreation & Parks Dept. reserves the right to remove entries NOT obeying the rules listed above.
- To participate in the parade you must register, please register below.
- There is no fee to register, at checkout choose the Online Payment option, you will not be charged.
- An email will be sent after you register with a confirmation of your entry.
- Another email will be sent, prior to July 3, with instructions for line up.
- Parade Route: Williston Road- Route 2, west bound from Johnson’s Farm to Old Stage Road.
- Parade Staging and Lineup: Begins at Johnson’s Farm on route 2, Williston Road.
- Day of Parade: All parade entries must be at the staging area prior to 9:30am. The road closes at 9:30am.
- Parade Judging: There will be NO judging this year.
- The fireworks display will be at Williston Community Park.
- Seating for the display will be in the fields behind the school, the entrance to the park, the playgrounds and surrounding areas.
- The display will be set off on the North Soccer Fields area.
- The North Path will be closed during the day while the display is being set up, from the intersection near the volleyball courts North to the intersection near the disc golf course- this is the path that goes by the baseball field.
- The path will be open from North Williston Road to Old Stage Road by going in front of the volleyball courts and disc golf course.
- Starting at 9:15pm until 10:15pm, and during the Fireworks display, the path will be closed off in front of the disc golf area and the entrance to Allen Brook Trail.
- There will be yellow caution tape across the field area of the south soccer fields that no one is to cross. This is for the safety of all.
- Parking will be available at and around Williston Central School.
5K Race Information:
- Race sponsored and run by the Williston-Richmond Rotary Club.
- The Race will start at 5:00pm at Williston Community Park- 250 Library Lane.
- Pre-Registration: Adults- $20, 17 & Under- $15
- Pre-Register Below. Open until Sunday, June 20. Guaranteed a shirt of your chosen size.
- On-Site Registration: Adults- $25, 17 & Under- $20
- Register the night of prior to the race. Not guaranteed a shirt or your size.
Library Book Sale Information:
- The Friends of the Library will hold a very scaled-back book sale this year outside the library on July 2, from 4-7pm.
- Because of the smaller size of this year's sale, we are not asking for book donations.
- If possible, please save your books for 2022 when we expect to be back in the gym for our usual 2-day sale!
- There will be jars on the tables for people to make a cash or check donation, so we won't be able to make change.
- Please bring your own bags.
- The sale will be weather dependent since it’s outside.